Living with a chronic infection day in and day out is not easy. Here are some recommendations that can help you to live better with the disease.
Eat a balanced diet and avoid being overweight
- Fruits and vegetables
- Starchy foods
- White meat
- Dairy products
- Foods that contain saturated fats (e.g. fatty meats, fried foods ...)
- Foods and drinks containing sugar (e.g. soft drinks, fruit juices, desserts ...)
- Raw or undercooked shellfish (e.g. clams, mussels, oysters, scallops).
Refrain from alcohol and/or tobacco consumption.
Both habits damage your liver, which is already damaged by the virus.2
Get plenty of rest
The liver plays a crucial role in a healthy and functioning body. Liver failure can lead to fatigue. Do not hesitate to get plenty of rest.1
Be physically active
Even moderate physical activity will keep you fit and reduce your stress levels. If you are an athlete, you can probably continue to play your favourite sport. Talk to your doctor about it.1
Certain medicines can damage your liver and lead to complications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.2
Use contraception and protect your baby
Since hepatitis B and D are diseases that are transmitted through blood and body fluids, you should use condoms for contraception.3
In case of pregnancy, it is important that your doctor knows about your hepatitis D infection so that the health of your liver and viral load is monitored throughout your pregnancy.4
- Pharmazeutische Zeitung. Ernährung bei Leber und Gallenleiden.
https://www.pharmazeutische-zeitung.de/inhalt-03-2005/titel-03-2005/. Juni 2020
- Hepatitis B Foundation. Healthy Liver Tips. Available on https://www.hepb.org/treatment-and-management/adults-with-hepatitis-b/healthy-liver-tips/ Consulted in April 2020
- Hepatitis B. Prevention tips. https://www.hepb.org/prevention-and-diagnosis/prevention-tips/. Juni 2020
- Hepatitis B Foundation. Treatment during pregnancy. Available on https://www.hepb.org/treatment-and-management/pregnancy-and-hbv/treatment-during-pregnancy Consulted in April 2020